Audio Recordings Retsina
[Corse, Carita Doggett]
Corse, Carita Doggett
Morris, Alton C.
Morris, Alton Chester
Vocals with Piano
- Contributor Names
- Castrounis, John (performer)
- Morris, Alton Chester (collector)
- Corse, Carita Doggett, 1892- (collector)
- Created / Published
- Jacksonville, Florida, 1939-10-04.
- Subject Headings
- - Greek Americans
- - Drinking songs
- - Greek Americans -- Music
- - United States -- Florida -- Jacksonville -- place of recording
- Field recordings
- - John Castrounis will sing a Retsina, a drinking song."
- - Retsina is a kind of Greek wine.
- - Greeks, along with Italians and Minorcans, first came to Florida in 1768, led by Dr. Andrew Turnbull. Turnbull settled New Smyrna Beach, Florida. When the colony came to an end in 1777, the settlers relocated to St. Augustine.
- - The sound quality of this recording is extremely poor. It has been included online because the melody line can still be identified.
- - Performance Note: "Retsina" (vocals with piano) performed by John Castrounis at Jacksonville, Florida, on October 4, 1939.
- sound recording
- sound disc
- 1 sound disc (2 minutes, 35 seconds) : analog ; 12 in.
- AFC 1939/026: AFS 03549 A01 DLC-AFC American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Other Formats
- Access Condition
- For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact