Jabbour, Karen Singer
Reed Family Home
Musical Genre: Breakdowns
Musical Genre: Fiddle Tunes
Musical Genre: Instrumentals
Musical Genre: Reels
- Love Somebody
- Contributor Names
- Reed, Henry; fiddle (performer)
- Jabbour, Alan (collector)
- Jabbour, Karen Singer (collector)
- Created Published
- Reed family home, Glen Lyn, Virginia (Giles County), 1966-06-18.
- Subject Headings
- - musical genre: Breakdowns
- - musical genre: Reels
- - musical genre: Fiddle tunes
- - musical genre: Instrumentals--fiddle
- - United States -- Virginia -- Glen Lyn -- place of recording
- - This is a widely distributed song and dance tune, often occurring with this title in the Upper South and points west. Scottish sets are often called "My Love She's But a Lassie Yet," which appeared in the well-distributed eighteenth-century publication "Scots Musical Museum" (1853 edition), vol. 2, 234 (#225). Sharp recorded it from Mrs. Stella Reynolds along the Blue Ridge in Meadows of Dan, Virginia, as "I'm Seventeen Come Sunday" ("English Folk Songs from the Southern Appalachians", vol. 2, 158, #127-D), and other instrumental sets have titles echoing the same song, such as "Sweet Sixteen." Various manuscript sets show that the instrumental tune was in America by the late eighteenth century, and Knauff has a version called "Richmond Blues" in "Virginia Reels" (1839). Henry Reed's performance is cut short by a problem he was having with the fiddle he had been lent; its bridge was rounded too much for him, causing his bow to hit the fiddle when he played on the G-string (which he called "the bass").
- - Key: D
- - Meter: 4/4
- - Strains: 2 (high-low, 4-4)
- - Rendition: 1r-2r-1r-2
- - Phrase Structure: ABA'C QRST (aba'c ab'de qeqr q'stb)
- - Compass: 15 (11 plus low A)
- - Stylistic features: Slurs in bowing.
- - Spoken: HENRY REED: That bass right there bothers me./ALAN JABBOUR: Yeah, that's alright./HENRY REED: I can't hardly get over on it./ALAN JABBOUR: Yeah, I know. That's alright./HENRY REED: I can't hardly get over on it. Feels too round./ALAN JABBOUR: Yeah. What do you call that tune?/HENRY REED: That's "Love Somebody."
- - Recording chronology: 003
- - Duration: 1 minute, 20 seconds
- - In English. (language)
- - Also included in The John and Ruby Reed 1939 Southern States Recording Trip. (exhibitions)
- Sound Disc
- 1 Sound Disc : Analog ; 12 In.
- Other Formats
Fiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection
The Alan Jabbour Collection
American Folklife Center
The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America
Performing Arts Encyclopedia