Audio Recordings Stewboy
Hazelhurst, Harold B.
Federal Music Project Office
- Contributor Names
- Hazelhurst, Harold B. (performer)
- Halpert, Herbert, 1911-2000 (collector)
- Kennedy, Stetson (collector)
- Hazelhurst, Harold B. (speaker)
- Halpert, Herbert, 1911-2000 (speaker)
- Created / Published
- Jacksonville, Florida, 1939-06-18.
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Gambling -- Songs and music
- - Work songs
- - United States -- Florida -- Jacksonville -- place of recording
- Field recordings
- - This song combines "Stewball" with gambling verses. The last verse was not recorded (cf. Zora Neale Hurston's version, "Mule on the Mount"). The singer, a 30-year-old born in Georgia and reared in Florida, worked as a waterboy (aged 15-16) in middle Florida.
- - Performance Note: "Stewboy" (vocals) performed by Harold B. Hazelhurst at Federal Music Project Office, Jacksonville, Florida, on June 18, 1939.
- sound recording
- sound disc
- 1 sound disc (2 minutes, 12 seconds) : analog ; 12 in.
- AFC 1939/005: AFS 03143 B03 DLC-AFC American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Other Formats
- Access Condition
- For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact