Maps A new map of the United States. Upon which are delineated its vast works of internal communication, routes across the continent &c. showing also Canada and the Island of Cuba,
- A new map of the United States. Upon which are delineated its vast works of internal communication, routes across the continent &c. showing also Canada and the Island of Cuba,
- Contributor Names
- Williams, W. (Wellington)
- Created / Published
- Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo & Co., 1851.
- Subject Headings
- - United States
- - Scale ca. 1:4,250,000.
- - Hand colored.
- - LC Railroad maps, 18
- - Detailed general map of the eastern half of the United States indicating drainage, state boundaries, state and county capitals, cities and towns, common roads, the "Oregon Route," canals, and railroads. One of the earliest maps to indicate an operating railroad west of the Mississippi River, from St. Louis to Jefferson City. Topography is indicated by hachures only in the inset of California. Indian tribes are shown west of the Mississippi River. [From published bibliography]
- - Insets: Map of the Niagara River and Falls.--City & harbor of Havana.--Map of the Island of Cuba.--Map of California, Oregon, New Mexico, Utah &c.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- col. map 63 x 76 cm.
- Call Number
- G3700 1851 .W5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3700 rr000180 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3700.rr000180
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Railroad Maps, 1828 to 1900
Transportation and Communication Cartographic Items
Geography and Map Division