Maps Map of routes for a Pacific railroad, compiled to accompany the report of the Hon. Jefferson Davis, sec. of war.
Articles and Essays with this item:
United States. War Department
Warren, G. K.
Warren, G. K. (Gouverneur Kemble)
- Map of routes for a Pacific railroad, compiled to accompany the report of the Hon. Jefferson Davis, sec. of war.
- Outline sketch map of the United States west of the Mississippi River designed to show the relationship of the proposed railroad routes. First edition of the map appears in U.S. War Department, Report of the Secretary...Communicating the Several Pacific Railroad Explorations (Washington, 1855). [From published bibliography]
- Contributor Names
- Warren, G. K. (Gouverneur Kemble), 1830-1882.
- Bien, Julius, 1826-1909.
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889.
- United States. War Department.
- Created / Published
- N[ew] Y[ork] Lith. of J. Bien 
- Subject Headings
- - Railroads--United States--Maps
- - United States
- - Scale 1:6,000,000.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Hand colored.
- - "This is a hurried compilation of all the authentic surveys and is designed to exhibit the relations of the different routes to each other: the topography represents only those great divides which form summits on the profiles of the routes. An elaborate map on scale of 1:3,000,000 is being compiled and is in an advanced state..." (see RR 174 for completed large map)
- - LC Railroad maps, 173
- - LC copy annotated in pink to show boundaries and names of states and territories.
- - LC copy annotated in ink on verso: Millard Fillmore May 15, 1861, No. 109.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2
- col. map 52 x 59 cm. fold. to 22 x 12 cm.
- Call Number
- G3701.P3 1857 .W31
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3701p rr001730 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701p.rr001730
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.