Maps A Plan of the entrance of Chesapeak [sic] Bay, with James and York Rivers; wherein are shewn the respective positions (in the beginning of October) 1. of the British Army commanded by Lord Cornwallis, at Gloucester and York in Virginia; 2. of the American and French forces under General Washington, 3. and of the French fleet under Count de Grasse.
Articles and Essays with this item:
Early Works to 1800
- A Plan of the entrance of Chesapeak [sic] Bay, with James and York Rivers; wherein are shewn the respective positions (in the beginning of October) 1. of the British Army commanded by Lord Cornwallis, at Gloucester and York in Virginia; 2. of the American and French forces under General Washington, 3. and of the French fleet under Count de Grasse.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Yorktown (Va.)--History--Siege, 1781--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Virginia--Yorktown
- - Scale ca. 1:240,500.
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink.
- - Depths shown by soundings.
- - Annotated "London, Published by Wm. Faden, Charing Cross, Novr. 26th 1781."
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1464
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2: 651
- col. map 41 x 53 cm.
- Call Number
- G3884.Y6S3 1781 .P5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3884y ct000189 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3884y.ct000189
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.