Maps Map of the territory of the United States from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean; ordered by Jeff' Davis, Secretary of War to accompany the reports of the explorations for a railroad route.
Articles and Essays with this item:
United States. War Department
Warren, G. K.
Warren, G. K. (Gouverneur Kemble)
- Map of the territory of the United States from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean; ordered by Jeff' Davis, Secretary of War to accompany the reports of the explorations for a railroad route.
- Very detailed map of the United States west of the Mississippi River indicating drainage, relief by hachures, cities and towns, forts, trails, wagon roads, and routes of exploration. An important map of western expansion, it utilized and lists 45 major exploration and mapping reports from the Lewis & Clark to the U.S. General Land Office Surveys.
- Contributor Names
- Warren, G. K. (Gouverneur Kemble), 1830-1882.
- Freyhold, Edward.
- Bien, Julius, 1826-1909.
- United States. War Department.
- Created / Published
- [Washington, D.C., War Dept., 1858]
- Subject Headings
- - West (U.S.)--Maps
- - Railroads--West (U.S.)--Maps
- - United States--West
- - Shows Indian tribal locations, military posts, and routes and dates of expeditions and surveys.
- - LC also has 1868 edition.
- - Scale 1:3,000,000.
- - Published to accompany Lt. G. K. Warren's memoir to accompany the map of the territory of the United States from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean and was included in the volume XI of the Pacific Railroad Reports; with this map the work of the Bureau of Topographical Engineers on the preliminary Pacific surveys came to a conclusion.
- - Sectioned and mounted on cloth backing.
- - LC Railroad maps, 174
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Signed: Millard Fillmore, Dec. 19, 1863.
- - Includes "Authorities."
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Annotated on verso: No. 250. Territories of the U.S. 1863. Millard Fillmore Jany. 18, 1864.
- - Vault
- - AACR2
- map 110 x 120 cm. fold. to 23 x 15 cm.
- Call Number
- G4050 1863 .W35
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.