Maps Rand McNally & Co's new railroad and county map of the United States and Canada. Compiled from the latest government surveys, and drawn to an accurate scale.
Rand Mcnally and Company
- Rand McNally & Co's new railroad and county map of the United States and Canada. Compiled from the latest government surveys, and drawn to an accurate scale.
- Contributor Names
- Rand McNally and Company.
- Created / Published
- Chicago, c1876.
- Subject Headings
- - Railroads--United States
- - United States
- - Scale ca. 1:2,027,520; approx. 32 miles to 1 in.
- - Prime meridian: Washington.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - "Engraved under the direction of C. H. Waite."
- - "The entire map is printed from electrotype plates, sections of which can be used for special railroad maps, publishers premium maps, maps to accompany reports, pamphlets, etc., etc., and for various advertising purposes. Designs furnished upon publication."
- - LC Railroad maps, 59
- - Very detailed map of the continental United States and parts of Canada and Mexico including drainage, international, state and county boundaries, cities and towns, canals, roads, trails, railroads, and railroads under construction. This map is very similar in cartography, content and scale to the maps which make up Rand, McNally & Co's Business Atlas containing large scale maps of each state and territory of the Great Mississippi Valley and Pacific Slope, Accompanied by a New and Original Compilation and Ready Reference Index, Showing in Detail the Entire Railroad System...Together with all Post Offices, Railroad Stations and Villages...(Chicago, 1876-77). [From published bibliography]
- - Includes insets of Alaska and Washington.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- col. map 134 x 244 cm. on 4 sheets 76 x 129 cm.
- Call Number
- G3701.P3 1876 .R34
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3701p rr000590 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701p.rr000590
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Railroad Maps, 1828 to 1900
Transportation and Communication Cartographic Items
Geography and Map Division