Maps A survey of the city of Philadelphia and its environs shewing the several works constructed by His Majesty's troops, under the command of Sir William Howe, since their possession of that city 26th. September 1777, comprehending likewise the attacks against Fort Mifflin on Mud Island, and until it's reduction, 16th November 1777.
Early Works to 1800
Fort Mifflin (Philadelphia)
Fort Mifflin (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- A survey of the city of Philadelphia and its environs shewing the several works constructed by His Majesty's troops, under the command of Sir William Howe, since their possession of that city 26th. September 1777, comprehending likewise the attacks against Fort Mifflin on Mud Island, and until it's reduction, 16th November 1777.
- Contributor Names
- Nicole, Pierre, -1784.
- Montrésor, John, 1736-1799.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Philadelphia (Pa.)--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Fort Mifflin (Philadelphia, Pa.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Fort Mifflin (Philadelphia)
- - Scale 1:14,400; 400 yards to an in.
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Relief shown by shading.
- - Annotated: John Montresor, chief engineer.
- - Map sections individually titled: Fort Mifflin on Great Mud Island [1:2,400]--Plan of the attacks against the rebels works on Mud Island surrender'd 16. November 1777 [1:7,200]--View of the rebel fort and works, on Mud Island comprehending Red-Bank on the Jersey shore; taken from * in front of the 6 gun battery Elevation of the commanding officer's house Section through A:B [1:600].
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1315
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2
- col. map; 151 x 89 cm.
- Call Number
- G3824.P5S3 1777 .N5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3824p ar302200 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3824p.ar302200
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.