Maps A sketch of the navigation from Swan Pt. to the River Elk at the head of Chesapeak Bay. Sketch of the River Elk, at the head of Chesapeak Bay.
Big Elk Creek
Big Elk Creek
Big Elk Creek (Pa. and Md.)
Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)
Early Works to 1800
- A sketch of the navigation from Swan Pt. to the River Elk at the head of Chesapeak Bay. Sketch of the River Elk, at the head of Chesapeak Bay.
- Contributor Names
- Hunter, John, 1737-1821.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Nautical charts--Maryland--Big Elk Creek (Pa. and Md.)--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Maryland--Big Elk Creek
- - United States--Maryland--Chesapeake Bay
- - United States--Virginia--Chesapeake Bay
- - Scale ca. 1:72,000 and ca. 1:30,500.
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Annotated in handwriting of Admiral Lord Howe: By Mr. Hunter, master of the Eagle.
- - Depths shown by soundings. Navigable channels outlined in pale red wash.
- - Shows landing of the King's troops, opposite Cecil Court House, and Head Qurs.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1413
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2: 100; 650/2
- 2 col. maps on sheet 57 x 75 cm.
- Call Number
- G3842.E5P5 1777 .H6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3842e ar141300 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3842e.ar141300
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.