Maps Bowles's new pocket map of the United States of America; the British possessions of Canada, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland, with the French and Spanish territories of Louisiana and Florida, as settled by the preliminary articles of peace signed at Versailles the 20th. Jany. 1783.
Early Works to 1800
- Bowles's new pocket map of the United States of America; the British possessions of Canada, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland, with the French and Spanish territories of Louisiana and Florida, as settled by the preliminary articles of peace signed at Versailles the 20th. Jany. 1783.
- Contributor Names
- Bowles, Carington, 1724-1793.
- Created / Published
- London, 1784.
- Subject Headings
- - United States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Canada--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States
- - Canada
- - Scale ca. 1:6,500,000.
- - Hand colored.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Prime meridian: Ferro and London.
- - Includes historic notes, listing of "The 13 United States of America," and inset "Article III."
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 745
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2
- - Copy 1 has land areas colored in pink, yellow, and green.
- - Copy 2 has land areas colored in pink, yellow, and green; some boundaries in red; New England States colored as one.
- - Copy 3 has land areas colored in brown; boundaries in green.
- col. map 47 x 51 cm.
- Call Number
- G3700 1783 .B64
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3700 ar074500 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3700.ar074500
- g3700 ar074501 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3700.ar074501
- g3700 ar074502 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3700.ar074502
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.