Maps Map of the battle of Chancellorsville, including operations from April 29th to May 5th, 1863.
- Map of the battle of Chancellorsville, including operations from April 29th to May 5th, 1863.
- Concerns the area between Wilderness in Orange County, Va., through Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, Va., giving a general overview of the placement of troops just prior and during the Battle of Chancellorsville.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Paine, William C
- - Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va., 1863
- - Chancellorsville (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fredericksburg (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Orange County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Spotsylvania County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Orange County
- - United States--Virginia--Spotsylvania County
- - United States--Virginia--Chancellorsville
- - United States--Virginia--Fredericksburg
- - Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va
- - Key on the map indicates symbols for the Union and Confederate lines, batteries, cavalry, turnpikes, small roads, and houses. Other unique places such as taverns, furnaces, and churches are also included by Sneden even though not referenced in the key.
- - Note under the title: "From official map by Col. Paine, Engr USA." This possibly was William C. Paine.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - Oriented with Chancellorsville at the top of the map and Fredericksburg at the bottom.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 4, p. 296).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 18 x 13 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society P. O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.