Maps Map shewing [sic] march of the [U.S.] Army from Harrison's Landing or Westover to Williamsburg, Virginia, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th August.
- Map shewing [sic] march of the [U.S.] Army from Harrison's Landing or Westover to Williamsburg, Virginia, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th August.
- Illustrates the path McClellan's troops took in August 1862 after their July encampment at Harrison's Landing ended. The 1st Corps under Fitz-John Porter, the 6th Corps under Sedgwick, and the 4th Corps under Keyes are shown traveling due east from Charles City Courthouse across the Chickahominy River toward Williamsburg while the 3rd Corps under Heintzelman travels on a northeastern route from Charles City Courthouse to Barhamsville and then due south towards Williamsburg.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Heintzelman, Samuel Peter,--1805-1880
- - Keyes, Erasmus D.--(Erasmus Darwin),--1810-1895
- - McClellan, George Brinton,--1826-1885
- - Porter, Fitz-John,--1822-1901
- - Sedgwick, John,--1813-1864
- - United States.--Army of the Potomac.--Corps, 1st
- - United States.--Army of the Potomac.--Corps, 3rd
- - United States.--Army of the Potomac.--Corps, 4th
- - United States.--Army of the Potomac.--Corps, 6th
- - Charles City (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Charles City County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Chickahominy River (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Harrison's Landing (Charles City County, Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - James City County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Westover (Charles City County, Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Williamsburg (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Charles City County
- - United States--Virginia--Chickahominy River
- - United States--Virginia--James City County
- - United States--Virginia--Charles City
- - United States--Virginia--Harrison's Landing (Charles City County)
- - United States--Virginia--Westover (Charles City County)
- - United States--Virginia--Williamsburg
- - Across top margin: "Copy of map made for Maj. Genl. S. P. Heintzelman, 3rd Corps, by R.K.S."
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 3, p. 412).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 18 x 13 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- gvhs01 vhs00043 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.ndlpcoop/gvhs01.vhs00043
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (email@example.com) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org External) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.