Maps Plan shewing [sic] battle ground and cavalry fight, 17th March 1863, Kelly's Ford, Va.
Sneden, Robert Knox
Culpeper County (Va.)
Fauquier County (Va.)
Kelly's Ford, Battle Of, Va
Kelly's Ford, Battle Of, Va.
- Plan shewing [sic] battle ground and cavalry fight, 17th March 1863, Kelly's Ford, Va.
- Map shows the area surrounding Kellysville, Va., and Kelly's Ford on the Rappahannock River. On March 17, 1863, this was the site of a cavalry skirmish between Confederate forces under Fitzhugh Lee and Jeb Stuart, who were trying to defend the route to Brandy Station, and Union forces under Gen. W. W. Averell.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Kelly's Ford, Battle of, Va., 1863--Maps
- - Culpeper County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fauquier County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Cavalry operations
- - United States--Virginia--Culpeper County
- - United States--Virginia--Fauquier County
- - Kelly's Ford, Battle of, Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 222).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 10.5 x 14.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.