Maps Map showing retreat of Union Army 13th and 14th Oct. 1863 from Culpeper to Warrenton Junction.
Sneden, Robert Knox
Culpeper County (Va.)
Fauquier County (Va.)
Meade, George Gordon
- Map showing retreat of Union Army 13th and 14th Oct. 1863 from Culpeper to Warrenton Junction.
- Map shows an area of central Virginia bordered by Gainesville to the north, Orange Court House to the south, Luray Gap to the west, and Bristoe to the east. With Lee's Army of Northern Virginia on the offensive, it's target Manassas and Washington, Union Gen. Meade had no choice but to pull back to protect the Federal capital.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Meade, George Gordon,--1815-1872
- - Culpeper County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fauquier County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Culpeper County
- - United States--Virginia--Fauquier County
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 878).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15 x 14 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.