Maps Position of Union and Rebel forces, Oct. 14, 1863
Sneden, Robert Knox
Bristoe Station, Battle Of, Va
Bristoe Station, Battle Of, Va.
Fairfax County (Va.)
- Position of Union and Rebel forces, Oct. 14, 1863
- Map shows Union troops on the road running parallel to the Orange and Alexandria railroad. Just past Bristoe Station, as Union troops crossed Broad Run, a Confederate battery emerged from woods north of the railroad. Next, Confederate skirmishers appeared on a hill overlooking the Union column. Finally, there were several Confederate charges. Union forces were able to return fire and, after several hours of fierce fighting, to capture Confederate artillery and approximately 450 prisoners.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Bristoe Station, Battle of, Va., 1863--Maps
- - Fairfax County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Fairfax County
- - Bristoe Station, Battle of, Va
- - Color coding idicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 896).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 14 x 11.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.