Maps Ft. Fisher shewing [sic] Union attack, Jany 15th 1865 From survey made after surrender by U.S. Engineers.
- Ft. Fisher shewing [sic] Union attack, Jany 15th 1865 From survey made after surrender by U.S. Engineers.
- Map shows area surrounding forts Fisher, Buchanan and Anderson near Smithville, N.C. Fort Fisher, located on the peninsula formed by the Atlantic Ocean and the Cape Fear River, was the primary target of the Union assault. Details include locations of Confederate batteries, abatis, spikes, palisades, and ditches, and arrows showing the direction of the advance of the various Union forces.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Terry, Alfred Howe,--1827-1890--Portraits
- - Coast defenses--North Carolina--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - Fortification--Confederate States of America
- - Fear, Cape (N.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fort Fisher (N.C. : Fort)--Capture, 1865--Maps
- - North Carolina--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--North Carolina--Fear, Cape
- - United States--North Carolina--Fort Fisher Region
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union forces and Confederate fortifications.
- - Map has an inset photograph of Major General Alfred Terry, U.S.A., in the top left corner.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 6, p. 348).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15 x 13 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.