Maps New defenses erected at Centreville, Virginia

Format Maps
Contributors Sneden, Robert Knox
Dates 1863
Location Centreville
Fairfax County
United States
Language English
Subjects (Barton Stone)
Alexander, S.
Centreville (Va.)
Civil War
Fairfax County
Fairfax County (Va.)
Military Engineering
Pictorial Works
United States
New defenses erected at Centreville, Virginia
Originally built by the Confederates and used for winter quarters in 1861-1862, the defenses around Centreville were also used by the Union Army to cover the retreat back to Washington after both 1st and 2nd Bull Run. When Lee began concentrating his forces around Culpeper in July 1863, and Meade, not to be outdone, moved his army to a position opposite them along the Rapphannock River, the stage was set for what appeared to be a 3rd Bull Run. However, the back and forth movements of both armies that took place through the summer and into the fall culminated in the Bristoe Campaign, 9 October-9 November. Each time the Army of the Potomac crossed to the south side of the Rappahannock, or re-crossed in retreat, the Engineer Brigade was called to construct the necessary bridges. In between assignments, the brigade returned to camp at Centreville.
Shows a series of forts and redoubts built primarily to the east of Centreville, in Fairfax County, Va., and the use of slashed trees and barricades as defenses.
Contributor Names
Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
Created / Published
Subject Headings
-  Alexander, B. S.--(Barton Stone),--1819-1878
-  Fortification--United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Pictorial works
-  Military engineering--United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
-  Centreville (Va.)--History--Civil war, 1861-1865--Maps
-  Fairfax County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
-  United States--Virginia--Fairfax County
-  United States--Virginia--Centreville
-  Color coding indicated the location of Union and Confederate forces.
-  NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
-  Relief shown by hachures.
-  This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
-  Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
-  In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 227).
-  Manuscripts
1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 31 x 42 cm.
Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
Digital Id

Rights & Access

The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.

Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.

Rights assessment is your responsibility.

More about Copyright and other Restrictions

For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.