Film, Video ROBERT ALTMAN'S JAZZ '34 REMEMBRANCES OF KANSAS CITY SWING
(Producer) Hal Willner
Steven Bernstein, Craig Handy, Geri Allen, Don Byron
- ROBERT ALTMAN’S JAZZ ’34 REMEMBRANCES OF KANSAS CITY SWING
- Contributor Names
- Robert Altman (director)
- (producer) Hal Willner (composer)
- Butch Morris (music_director_and/or_conductor)
- Susan Jacobs (music_supervisor)
- Steven Bernstein, Craig Handy, Geri Allen, Don Byron. (arranger)
- Created / Published
- - Information from: "Jazz on the Screen" by David Meeker. Used with permission. (Source)
- - Made-for-TV programme or made-for-video/DVD release.
- - Feature film (over 60 minutes).
- - "Tickletoe" by Lester Young; "Indiana" by Ballard MacDonald, James F. Hanley; "Moten swing" by Bennie Moten, Buster Moten; "Solitude" by Eddie De Lange, Duke Ellington, Irving Mills (arr SB); "Blues in the dark" by Count Basie, Jimmy Rushing (arr SB); "Harvard Blues" by Count Basie, Tab Smith, George Fraizier (arr SB); "Lafayette" by Count Basie, Eddie Durham (arr CH); "Lullaby of the leaves" by Joe Young, Bernice Petkere (arr GA); "Piano boogie" by Geri Allen, Steven Bernstein, Cyrus Chestnut; "Pagin’ the devil" by Walter Page, Milt Gabler (arr DB); "Queer notions" by Coleman Hawkins (arr CH); "Yeah man" by J. Russell Robinson, Noble Sissle (arr SB). (Songs)
- - Olu Dara, Nicholas Payton, James Zollar, trumpet; Curtis Fowlkes, Clark Gayton, trombone; Jesse Davis, David "Fathead" Newman, alto sax; James Carter, Craig Handy, David Murray, Joshua Redman, tenor sax; Don Byron, clarinet, baritone sax; Geri Allen, Cyrus Chestnut, piano; Russell Malone, Mark Whitfield, guitar; Ron Carter, Christian McBride, Tyrone Clarke, acoustic double bass; Victor Lewis, percussion; Kevin Mahogany, vocal. (Personnel on Camera)
- - Edited from footage originally shot for the feature "Kansas City" (1995) (q.v.).
- - narrator: Harry Belafonte (Soundtrack Personnel)
- - Jazz on the Screen is a reference work of filmographic information and does not point to digitized versions of the items described. The Library of Congress may or may not own a copy of a particular film or video. To request additional information Ask a Librarian (http://www.loc.gov/rr/askalib/ask-record.html).
- motion picture
- Other Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owner and/or other rights holder (such as holder of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The content of Jazz on the Screen: a Jazz and Blues Filmography by David Meeker is copyrighted by David Meeker and used here by permission of the author.
Jazz on the Screen reflects the opinions of its author, David Meeker, and not the views of the Library of Congress.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Jazz on the Screen is a reference work of filmographic information and does not point to digitized versions of the items described. The Library of Congress may or may not own a copy of a particular film or video. To request additional information Ask a Librarian.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.