Film, Video JAZZ ON A SUMMER'S DAY
- JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY
- Contributor Names
- Bert Stern (director)
- George Avakian (music_director_and/or_conductor)
- Created / Published
- - Information from: "Jazz on the Screen" by David Meeker. Used with permission. (Source)
- - Feature film (over 60 minutes).
- - 1. "The train and the river" by Jimmy Giuffre. 3. "Blue monk" by Thelonious Monk. 4. "Blues". 5. "Sweet Georgia Brown" by Ben Bernie, Maceo Pinkard, Ken Casey; "Tea for two" by Irving Caesar, Vincent Youmans. 6. "Rondo" by George Shearing. 7. "All of me" by Seymour Simons, Gerald Marks. 8. "Catch as catch can" by Gerry Mulligan. 9. "I ain’t mad at you"; "Sweet little sixteen" by Chuck Berry. 10. "Blue sands" by Chico Hamilton. 11. "Lazy river" by Hoagy Carmichael, Sidney Arodin; "Tiger rag" by Harry De Costa, Edwin B. Edwards, Nick La Rocca, Tony Spargo, Larry Shields; "The Saints" (trad); "Rockin’ chair" by Hoagy Carmichael. 12. "Shout all over" by Thomas A. Dorsey; "Didn’t it rain" (trad.) arr R. Martin, "Lord’s prayer" by A. H. Malotte. 13. "Dixieland". (Songs)
- - 1. Jimmy Giuffre, tenor sax; Bob Brookmeyer, trombone; Jim Hall, guitar. 2. Rex Stewart, cornet; Ben Webster, tenor sax; Gerry Mulligan, piano; Oscar Pettiford. 3. Thelonious Monk, piano; Henry Grimes, acoustic double bass; Roy Haynes, drums. 4. Sonny Stitt, alto sax; Sal Salvador, guitar; Martin Rivera, acoustic double bass; Louis Hayes, drums. 5. Anita O’Day, vocal; Jimmy Jones, piano; Red Mitchell, acoustic double bass; John Poole, drums. 6. George Shearing, piano; Emil Richards, vibraphone; Jimmy Bond Jr., acoustic double bass; Ray Mosca, drums; Armando Peraza, congas. 7. Dinah Washington, vocal, vibraphone; Don Elliott, mellophone; Urbie Green, trombone; Wynton Kelly, piano; Terry Gibbs, vibraphone; Paul West, acoustic double bass; Max Roach, drums. 8. Art Farmer, trumpet; Gerry Mulligan, baritone sax; Bill Crow, acoustic double bass; Dave Bailey, drums. 9. Big Maybelle, vocal; Chuck Berry, vocal; Buck Clayton, trumpet; Jack Teagarden, trombone; Rudy Rutherford, clarinet; Georgie Auld, tenor sax; Wynton Kelly, piano; Kenny Burrell, guitar; Tommy Bryant, acoustic double bass; Jo Jones, drums. 10. Eric Dolphy, flute; John Pisano, guitar; Nathan Gershman, cello; Harold Gatlor, acoustic double bass; Chico Hamilton, drums. 11. Louis Armstrong, trumpet, vocal; Bobby Hackett, trumpet; Jack Teagarden, trombone, vocal; Trummy Young, trombone; Peanuts Hucko, clarinet; Billy Kyle, piano; Mort Herbert, acoustic double bass; Danny Barcelona, drums. 12. Mahalia Jackson, vocal; Mildred Fells, piano, organ. 13. Eli’s Chosen Six. + Marian McPartland in the audience. (Personnel on Camera)
- - Recorded at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival, introduced by Willis Conover.
- - 6. Toots Thielemans, guitar, is on soundtrack only. (Soundtrack Personnel)
- motion picture
- Other Formats
Performing Arts Encyclopedia