Film, Video Women suffragettes visit TR at Sagamore  /
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Women suffragettes visit TR at Sagamore  /
- Other Title
- Women suffragettes visit Theodore Roosevelt at Sagamore, 1917
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n.], 1917.
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919
- - Suffrage--New York (State)
- - Women--Suffrage--New York (State)
- - Women's rights--New York (State)
- - Women--Legal status, laws, etc
- - Sagamore Hill National Historic Site (Oyster Bay, N.Y.)
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 0:10 at 16 fps.
- - RMA lists date in title as 1918.
- - Appearing: Mrs. Ogden Mills Reid (Helen Rogers), Mrs. Whitehouse (Vira B.), Mrs. James Lees Laidlaw (Harriet Burton).
- - Film is the opening of the second New York State suffrage campaign on Sept. 8, 1917 at Sagamore Hill. The first campaign, beginning in 1913, was unsuccessful; the woman suffrage amendment was rejected by the voters in 1915. On Nov. 6, 1917, the suffrage amendment to the New York State Constitution was approved by the voters. The suffragists invited to Sagamore Hill were headed by Mrs. Norman deR. Whitehouse, State Chairman of the New York State Woman Suffrage Party. Sequence of TR talking to three women: the woman in the dark hat and coat is Mrs. Ogden Mills Reid; the woman dressed in furs next to TR is Mrs. Whitehouse; and the tall woman in the light hat and jacket is Mrs. James Lees Laidlaw.
- - LC copy is incomplete, has only flash title. DLC
- - National Park Service acquire from Roosevelt Memorial Association (RMA). Gift to RMA from Pathe. DLC
- - Donor's inventory number: RMA 307-3-8. DLC
- - MAVIS 12917; Women suffragettes visit TR at Sagamore . DLC
- - Sources used: Harper, Ida H., ed. History of woman suffrage. v. 6, 1969; Bain, George Grantham. [News photos of woman suffrage in the United States, mostly New York City, 1905-1917.] lot 11052. P&P; League of Women Voters in the United States. ...[W]omen active in the women's suffrage movement and as members of the National League of Women Voters. lot 5544. P&P; The Brooklyn daily eagle. 9/9/1917:1, 4; Theodore Roosevelt film catalog, p. 123.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: May 1968 from USDA lab; viewing print and dupe neg pic; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, gift to RMA from Pathé; flash title; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: May 1968.
- 1 film reel of 1 (4 ft.) : si., b&w. ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (4 ft.) : si., b&w. ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- Call Number
- FAB 0741 (viewing print)
- FRA 5787 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recording Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- trmp 4174 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/trmp.4174
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: email@example.com):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.