Film, Video Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa /
Articles and Essays with this item:
Caricatures and Cartoons
- Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa /
- Other Title
- Cartoon--Theodore Roosevelt's arrival in Africa
- cartoon--theodore roosevelt's arrival in africa
- Created / Published
- [United States : s.n., 1909?]
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Travel--Africa
- - Presidents--America
- - Caricatures and cartoons--Social aspects
- - Editorial cartoons
- - Africa
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 0:20 at 24 fps.
- - Viewing print (16 mm.) and non-viewing pos lack interior title. DLC
- - Animated caricature of the animals' attitude towards TR's arrival in Africa. Views of a huge tree filled with frightened animals, as a monkey on the ground peers over a cliff; he begins jumping up and down, pointing and climbing the tree as TR appears over the rim of the cliff with gun in his hand.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association numbers: RMA 321-04-02; RMA 321-04-03. DLC
- - MAVIS 1203931; Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa. DLC
- - Appears to be based on Homer Davenport's cartoon The frightened animals; hist! see who's coming, originally published in The Evening mail, New York, March 23, 1909.
- - National Park Service acquire from Roosevelt Memorial Association (RMA). RMA purchase from Geiss. DLC
- - Sources used: Shaw, A. A cartoon history of Roosevelt's career, 1910:194; Lorant, S. The life and times of Theodore Roosevelt, 1959:515.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing print, dupe neg, masterpos, non-viewing pos; Received: May 1968 from USDA ; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (11 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print, copy 2. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (11 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- masterpos. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- non-viewing pos. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- Call Number
- FAB 0884 (viewing print)
- FEA 6732 (viewing print)
- FEA 9652 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 8205 (dupe neg)
- FPB 7189 (dupe neg)
- FPC 0474 (masterpos)
- FRA 0871 (non-viewing pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- trmp 4085 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/trmp.4085
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: email@example.com):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.