Film, Video Dr. William Gorgas /
Description and Travel
Panama Canal (Panama)
Panama Canal Company
- Dr. William Gorgas /
- Other Title
- Doctor William Gorgas
- doctor william gorgas
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n., 190-?].
- Subject Headings
- - Railroads--Panama--Canal Zone
- - Buildings--Panama--Canal Zone
- - Panama Canal (Panama)
- - Panama--Description and travel
- - Panama Canal Company
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 0:22 at 20 fps.
- - Film has ca. 2 ft. of views of Dr. William Crawford Gorgas, chief sanitation officer of the Panama Canal (1904-1913) and member of the Isthmian Canal Commission, standing in front of a building; location of this sequence is undetermined. Remainder of film shows Dr. Gorgas and an unidentified man riding on a Panama Canal Company train. The two men are silhouetted against passing scenery of the Canal Zone as Dr. Gorgas shows the other man points of interest. The train passes a body of water which is probably a part of the canal, countryside, buildings probably on Front Street, Colon, including a YMCA club; final scene of people walking across tracks after the train passes.
- - Sources used: Abbot, Willis J. Panama and the canal. 1914; Heald, Jean S. Picturesque Panama. 1928; Gorgas, Marie D. and Hendrick, Burton J. William Crawford Gorgas. 1924; Barrett, John. Panama Canal. 1913:19; P&P portrait file.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association (RMA). RMA purchased from Apollo. DLC
- - Received: 5/1968 from USDA lab; ref print and dupe neg; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from Apollo; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: 5/1968.
- 1 reel of 1 (18 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (18 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg.
- Call Number
- FAB 0985 (ref print)
- FRA 5959 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- trmp 4118 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/trmp.4118
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: email@example.com):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.