Books Grammar of the art of dancing, theoretical and practical lessons in the arts of dancing and dance writing (choregraphy) with drawings, musical examples, choregraphic symbols, and special music scores, translated from the German of Friedrich Albert Zorn... edited by Alfonso Josephs Sheafe
[The Heintzemann Press]
Zorn, Friedrich Albert
Dance Instruction and Technical Manuals
Handbooks, Manuals, Etc
Music for Dance
- Grammar of the art of dancing, theoretical and practical lessons in the arts of dancing and dance writing (choregraphy) with drawings, musical examples, choregraphic symbols, and special music scores, translated from the German of Friedrich Albert Zorn... edited by Alfonso Josephs Sheafe
- Contributor Names
- Zorn, Friedrich Albert.
- Created / Published
- [The Heintzemann Press], Boston, Mass, 1905, monographic.
- Subject Headings
- - Ballet -- Handbooks, manuals, etc
- - Ballroom dancing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc
- - Dance notation
- - Dance music
- - Dance Instruction and Technical Manuals
- - Theatrical Dance
- - Music for Dance
- - Translated by Benjamin P. Coates.
- - Supplemented by: "Musical score of the Grammar of the art of dancing, by Friedrich Albert Zorn, edited by Alfonso Josephs Sheafe ..." (1 p.l., 37 p. 21x28 cm.) published: Boston, Mass., 1905. Call number: GV1751.Z9 score.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images. (additional physical form)
- electronic resource
- xviii p., 1 l., 3-302 p. front. (port.) illus. (incl. music) 28 cm.
- Music Division
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - METSXML Record
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the materials in this collection.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The accompanying videos were produced by the Library of Congress. Note Video Performers for additional credits for video performers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Performers for the October 1997 Great Hall event: Dancers
Members of The Jonquil Street Foundation, Inc. Ariane Anthony, Thomas Baird, Barbara Barr, Patricia Beaman, Christopher Caines, Charles Garth, James Martin, Maris Wolff. Musicians - members of The Library of Congress Centennial Cotillion Brass Band, Emerson Head and Robert Sheldon, Leaders (Members, Metro Washington D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710, AFM.)
Performers for the Coolidge Auditorium clips: Dancers
Cheryl Stafford and Thomas Baird. Musicians - Boris Gurevitch (piano), Susan Manus (violin).
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
An American Ballroom Companion: Dance Instruction Manuals, Ca. 1490 to 1920
The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America
Performing Arts Encyclopedia