Manuscripts/Mixed Material First emancipation proclamation, [Facsimile.]
- First emancipation proclamation, [Facsimile.]
- Contributor Names
- Lincoln, Abraham (Author)
- Seward, William (Author)
- Created / Published
- January 4, 1864
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Emancipation Proclamation
- - fundraising
- - Smith, Gerrit (1797-1874)
- - Correspondence
- - Manuscripts
- - Broadsides
- - United States -- New York -- Albany -- Albany
- - This original and draft of the first Emancipation Proclamation as described below by the Assistant Secretary of State was presented to the Albany Army Relief Bazaar in Feb. 1864, and brought the sum of $1,000 for its funds. It became the property of Gerrit Smith, who presented it to the United States Sanitary Commission in 1865, it was purchased by vote of the Legislature of the Commission for $1,000, and ordered to be deposited in the State Library. Albany, 1865.
- Call Number
- Emancipation broadside
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions for the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.