Manuscripts/Mixed Material Report of Sheriff's Sale in Goshorn v. Calhoun, [Law papers].
- Report of Sheriff's Sale in Goshorn v. Calhoun, [Law papers].
- Contributor Names
- Lincoln, Abraham (Author)
- Stuart, John Todd (Author)
- Lavely, William (Signer)
- Created / Published
- Sangamon County, Illinois, October 24, 1838
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Lincoln's law practice
- - Stuart, John Todd (1807-1885)
- - Elkin, Garret (Lincoln's law practice)
- - Lavely, William (Lincoln's law practice)
- - Goshorn, John (Lincoln's law practice)
- - Calhoun, John (Lincoln's law practice)
- - Manuscripts
- - legal case and case notes
- - United States -- Illinois -- Sangamon
- legal case and case notes
- - Summary: Calhoun gave Goshorn a promissory note for $530 but failed to pay. Goshorn retained Stuart and Lincoln and sued Calhoun in an action of assumpsit to collect the debt. Calhoun withdrew his pleas, and the court ruled for Goshorn and awarded $569.75 in damages. The court sold 240 acres of Calhoun's land to satisfy the judgment. Stuart and Lincoln, acting on Goshorn's behalf, bought the land for $611.91.
- 20.3 x 16 cm.
- Call Number
- Law Papers; Portfolio 1, no. 7
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions for the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.