"Marshall Plan Dons Uniform," 1955. Congress required that items shipped under the Marshall Plan be clearly marked so that there could be no mistake as to who had supplied the assistance. The original Marshall Plan label, "For European Recovery -- Supplied by the United States of America, " was replaced in 1955 with "Strength for the Free World -- From the United States of America," which appears on the jeep in this photograph. The new slogan more accurately represented the role of the Economic Cooperation Administration (ECA), which had begun operating in the Far East as well as in the original countries of Europe. As the Cold War deepened, the ECA developed beyond the original goal of recovery for Europe and became more concerned with bolstering the free world against communism. New York World Telegram and Sun Collection, Prints and Photographs Division.