Regional map of Charleston Harbor extending along the Atlantic Coast from Sullivan's Island just north of the harbor entrance to St. John's and Kiawah islands to the south. Indicates the presence of Union warships off the coast and places along the coastline where the Union has established a foothold.
In this annotated detail from a printed map, the city of Charleston is delineated and Confederate fortifications along the Ashley and Cooper rivers are indicated. Also indicated is the area of the city that burned as a result of Union shelling.
Shows in detail the Confederate forts along the Ashley and Cooper rivers, as well as obstructions in Charleston Harbor. Also shows the burned district of Charleston, where Union prisoners of war were kept within range of Union guns.
Map shows Charleston, S.C., the Confederate forts, the Union works surrounding Fort Wagner and the position of the Union monitor fleet in the harbor off of the coast. This view shows the Union attacks on Confederate fortifications lining the harbor, and on the city itself. The locations of artillery batteries and their ranges and targets are indicated.
Map shows the location of Union and Confederate fortifications on James, Sullivan, Block and Morris islands at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, S.C. In July 1863, Union generals Gillmore and Dahlgren hoped to take Fort Wagner, on Morris Island in Charleston Harbor, in order to gain a vantage point from which to launch an attack on the city of Charleston. Strongly defended by the ...