CIP Program Membership Requirements
- Only U.S. publishers who publish titles that are likely to be widely acquired by U.S. libraries are eligible to participate in the CIP program.
- Every publisher/imprint must have already published a minimum of three titles by three different authors. All three titles must have been widely acquired by U.S. libraries.
- Publishers must apply for separate membership for each new imprint. Every new imprint must meet all membership eligibility requirements.
- All other publishers are ineligible for the CIP Program but may be eligible for the Preassigned Control Number (PCN) Program.
- Book vendors, distributors, printers, production houses and other intermediaries are ineligible.
- Publishers who have published the works of fewer than three different authors are ineligible.
- Self-publishers (i.e. authors and editors who pay for or subsidize publication of their own works; who often do not publish the works of more than three different authors; and whose works are rarely widely acquired by the nation's libraries) are ineligible.
- Fee-for-service publishers are ineligible.
- There is no charge for CIP processing.
Participating publishers are obligated to send a complimentary copy of all books for which CIP data was provided immediately upon publication. These complimentary books are subject to claiming. Publishers failing to meet this obligation may be suspended from the program. All books and materials sent to the Library of Congress are nonreturnable.