Do I Open New CIP Account?
- To obtain CIP data, you must first
complete the application to participate and obtain an account number and
- The account number and password
provide access to the form for requesting CIP data.
as Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Explorer is required to complete the
application to participate and the subsequent form to request CIP data.
establishing an account for your firm, please note the following:
- Complete a CIP data application
and transmit the full text or core required materials for
- The texts are accessible only to authorized staff for purposes of
preparing CIP data and are deleted after a copy of the book is received and the
CIP record verified.
- Transmit the text in US-ASCII with
- WordPerfect: select "ASCII DOS Text (*.txt)" from the list of
file types--not "WordPerfect (*.wpd)".
- Microsoft Word: select "MS-DOS Text with line breaks
(*.txt)"--not "Word Document (*.doc)"
- Texts transmitted with word processing codes or other non-ASCII code
cannot be processed.
- The CIP Program is limited to
books that are principally in English and whose text can be transmitted in
- The following categories of works
cannot be processed electronically via the CIP program:
- Books in non-Western European languages
- Books with non-Western language diacritics appearing anywhere on the
- Books consisting mainly of images, tables, charts or mathematical or
chemical formulas, etc.
- To obtain CIP data for these works, please submit a conventional CIP
application by mail
- Attach a file of the text to the
- Format and code the text prior to completing the
- Without these tags, catalogers
will be unable to access the text and catalog the work.
- The CIP data is emailed to the
publisher upon completion.
- The CIP data must be printed as
provided on the verso of the copyright page following the legend:
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication
- Submit a complimentary copy of the
book to the CIP Program immediately upon publication.
- The complimentary copy is required to verify the accuracy of the CIP
record and provide additional information (e.g., number of pages) not available
at the time the CIP data is created.
Application to Participate