Manuscripts/Mixed Material Article by Alexander Graham Bell, May 17, 1908
The newspapers very generally reported the aviator as Capt. Baldwin, the balloonist, but this is a different man. Mr. F. W. Baldwin is a young engineer, a graduate of Toronto University, and a grandson of the celebrated Robert Baldwin, one of the founders of the Dominion of Canada, and premier of Upper Canada before the confederation. Mr. F. W. Baldwin is the same engineer who designed and constructed the tetrahedral tower of steel which stands on Dr. Bell's estate near Baddeck, Novia Scotia; and the new aerodrome now awaiting trial at Hammondsport has been designed by him.
Aerodrome No. 1, Selfridge's “Red Wing,” came to an untimely end on March 17th, 1908, by an accident which completely demolished the machine, although fortunately the aviator and the engine escaped uninjured. The association then immediately began the construction of Aerodrome No. 2, Baldwin's “White Wing.”
Both aerodromes have been constructed in the aerodrome shed of Mr. Glen H. Curtiss of Hammondsport, who acts as director of experiments for the Aerial Experiment Association. The actual work of construction has been under the charge of Mr. William F. Bedwin, superintendent of Dr. Bell's Baddeck laboratory. The engine employed was specially designed for the association by Mr. Glen H. Curtiss, and was manufactured by the Curtiss Manufacturing Company of Hammondsport.
On May 13th, 1908, an attempt was made to fly the new aerodrome, No. 2, Baldwin's “White Wing,” at the race track near Hammondsport. The aerodrome had been provided with light wheels, like bicycle wheels, to enable it to run over the ground until sufficient