Manuscripts/Mixed Material Article by Mabel Hubbard Bell, 1909
It was therefore decided to accept the invitation of Mr. Curtiss to make use of the tools and machinery of the Curtiss Motor Cycle Co. at Hammondsport, New York, and there to construct a gliding machine with which the younger members could indulge their impatience to be flying, and at the same time gain practice that would be valuable when dynamic flight with an engine and propeller became a possibility. The associates therefore left Beinn Bhreagh late in December. Unfortunately a serious illness overtook Mrs. Bell in Washington, so that Dr. Bell could be at the new Headquarters only at intervals.
At Hammondsport Lieut. Selfridge was chosen by the Chairman to be the first to have a machine built according to his ideas on the ground that he had risked his life in the “Cygnet”. Selfridge's Red Wing“, the first machine constructed by the Association, as its name indicates, was made according to plans satisfactory to Lieut. Selfridge, but it should be noted as a matter of fact, that while the various aerodromes constructed by the A.E.A. were known by the names of the different members who had the deciding say as to the character of each machine, they were actually the work of all the associates collectively. All worked together so loyally an enthusiastically that it was often difficult to say exactly whose idea one or another part of the machine might be.
Selfridge's Red Wing” made a beautiful flight of three hundred and nineteen feet over the ice on Lake Keuka, near Hammondsport, New York, on March 12, 1908, in the