Manuscripts/Mixed Material [Rufus H. Dunnahoo]
Redfield, Georgia B.
APR 25 [19?]
RUFUS H. DUNNAHOO
Oldest Living Roswell Pioneer
Established Blacksmith Shop in 1881
Helped Build First Hondo River Bridge
Rufus H. Dunnahoo, Roswell's oldest living pioneer, came from San Antonio, Texas to New Mexico in July 1880, and settled at Seven Rivers - eighteen miles north of the site on which building of the present City of Carlsbad was started nine years later, in 1889.
At the time of the coming of Mr. Dunnahoo, Seven Rivers, then in Lincoln County, and the town of Lincoln and White Oaks were the only towns of any consequence in Southeast New Mexico. Roswell - sixty-five miles north of Seven Rivers - was only a cattle trading Post, having one store and a post-office. Roswell today, in a modern city of 12,500 population, while all that remains of Seven Rivers are remnants of adobe walls and what is known as “Boot Cemetery”, where most of the men were buried with boots on, after numerous shooting escapades.
At that time all the land from Seven Rivers, on both sides of the Pecos River, as far north as the Bosque Grande country thirty-five miles northeast of Roswell - a distance of nearly one hundred and twenty miles - was used as cattle grazing land by John S. Chisum who brought the first herd of cattle to the Pecos Valley in 1867.
The town site of Seven Rivers in Eddy County and Roswell in Chaves County were in Lincoln County until Eddy and Chaves County were created by Act of the Territorial Legislature in 1889, going into effect January 1, 1891.