Manuscripts/Mixed Material [Mrs. Ella Davidson]
As an army post the fort was abandoned in 1861, was again occupied by the army in 1863 and subtantial stone and brick buildings and other improvements for defense, were constructed in 1868.
In this reconstructed fort John Bolton, after the arrival of his family in 1871, built their adobe house and here, in this, her first New Mexico home, Ella Bolton with her parents and her sister and brother spent three of her early childhood years.
Fort Stanton was again abandoned as an army post in 1896 and since 1899 it has been continuously occupied as a Government sanatarium.
In 1873 John Bolton moved his family to Lincoln, New Mexico where he was made postmaster, and here Ella Bolton, nearly ten years of age, and her sister Amelia two years older grew to young girlhood. They entered into the social life of the town, and with their youthful grace and charm contributed to the pleasure of the social gatherings of the harassed people of bullet scarred Old Lincoln during the “Lincoln County War” of 1876-79. “Billy the Kid”, famous outlaw of that region, (who was one of the leaders of the gang of the Alexander A. McSween adherants, against the Major Lawrence G. Murphy followers) contributed a large share to the destruction and murdering that resulted thro'ugh the many encounters of that famous cattle war.
Ella Bolton met the young desperado at a dancing party