[Joshua P. Church]
Captain Joseph C. Lea who came in 1877 had bought the old adobe structure, with attic sleeping quarters for paying guests, built by Van C. Smith and A. O. Wilburn in 1869, which he used for his residence.
The new hotel operated by Mrs. o'Neal, which was considered very grand, was also built of adobe. The building first contained a veranda, a dining room, kitchen and small office on the first floor, ana seven or eight bedrooms on the second floor.
Additional rooms were built under the management of Mr. Church, the entire structure was remodeled, and named the “Pauly Hotel” in honor of the man who built the first Court House and jail. The cell doors of the jail were equipped with the Pauly Jail Cell Locking System, invented by him, whereby all cells were simultaneously locked on the outside of the jail corridor.
Under the capable management of Mr. and Mrs. Church the Pauly Hotel became widely known as being equipped with as modern accommodations as could be supplied in the Territory during those days of early settlement.
In four years Mr. Church sold out. The hotel afterwards changed hands several times, operating at different intervals as the Pauly, Grand Central, and Bankhead Hotel. Until it was burned June 19, 1937, no matter under what name it was operated, the hotel remained the favorite stopping place of the pioneer sheepmen and stockmen of the Valley, as in the old days when Mr. Church was the manager.