Manuscripts/Mixed Material [A. J. Ballard]
Mr. Ballard after coming to Roswell established and improved what is now known as the Arthur Stevens farm three miles east of Roswell on East Second Street, where Robert L. Ballard, the first Anglo-American boy baby of the Roswell vicinity, was born. Mrs. Ella Lea Dow, daughter of Captain Joseph C. Lea, was the first Anglo baby girl, born in Roswell. Richard Ballard was a babe in arms when the Ballard family first came to New Mexico, Mrs. Berta (Ballard) Manning was ten years of age. Charlie and Will were old enough to lend a hand during the first hard years of cultivating and improving the Ballard farm.
Mr. Ballard assisted financially in the expense of the first school constructed of adobe, that was built near his home, in 1881, on the southeast corner of school section of thirty-six, three miles east of Roswell, on East Second Street.
The Ballard children attended this first school. Here they were taught by Asbury C. Rogers the first person to teach a school in what is now Chaves County.
After improving the farm on East Second Street he desired, for his children, the advantages of schools and churches that were soon established in Roswell. He sold out and built a home on what is now the one hundredth block, South Pennsylvania Avenue. At this place the Ballard family lived for many years. His children grew into useful men and women citizens in the home their father planned for them.
Mr. Ballard lived to see the town he assisted very materially in building, developed into a modern city of 10,000 population, before his death which occurred at Roswell in 1914. Mrs. Ballard his wife died in 1926.