Manuscripts/Mixed Material [Mr. William P. Jones]
“Famous politicians, statesmen, governors and others who visited in Marlin stopped at the Arlington. One of them was [?]. Butler who rose from a blacksmith to one of the most famous ward bosses of St. Louis. Among the famous lecturers who stopped at the Arlington were Henry Watterson and Ex-Governor Bob Taylor of Tennessee who were in Marlin as lecturers on a [lyceum?] course.
“Just as the old tavern served its time, so the Old and New Arlington Hotels served theirs. After retirement of Mr. Levy, the hotel changed hands several times and in 1935, it ceased to operate as a hotel and was turned into an apartment house. A number of more modern hotels had been built in the intervening years. In 1937, the property was sold to the Falls Hotel Company at a low price, and a few months later the building was deeded to the Marlin Independent School District, with the understanding that the school would see the material salvaged from the huge structures for the purpose of creating an auditorium-gymnasium for the school. The sole consideration was that the school district was to secure a [??] project for wrecking the building and erecting the auditorium-gymnasium and fill the basement of the hotel site and cover the entire site of the building with eighteen inches of soil. This consideration has been carried out and the lot is ready once more for another