Manuscripts/Mixed Material [Mrs. Mary McNeill Faye]
William V. Ervin, [P.W.?]
Erath County, Texas.
District No. 8
No. of words 1277
File No. 230
OCT 19 1936
A. Mrs. Mary McNeill Faye, Stephenville, Texas.
Dr. W. W. McNeill, a young physician; Major George B. Erath and John [N.?] Stephen, came into the frontier country in search of a good location for their homes, in the spring of 1854. [On?] the spot where the town of Stephenville, county seat of [Erath?] [County?], now stands they found what they were looking for in the way of tillable land with plenty of [grass?], water and game, [and?] located there.
Major Erath and John [M.?] Stephen surveyed the land into farms, and laid off the town-site of the present city of Stephenville. This was in the [John?] Blair Survey which was owned by Major Erath.
Making maps and plates of his surveys, Major [Erath?] sent them to the [Legislature?] with the proposition that if the Legislature would create a county in that territory, designating Stephenville the county sent, the [Major?] would deed to the county a block of ground for the court house, also, blocks for a jail and one to each of the religious denominations; [Methodist?], [Presbyterian?], Christian and Baptist; for their churches. He further offered to deed free to the town all the ground [necessary?] for the streets and alleys. This proposal was sent to [Justin?] July 4th, 1855, and the Legislature accepted it January 25, 1956. The county erected was named for [Major?] Erath. The county seat was named Stephenville for John M. Stephen.
The men built log cabins after their selection of the cite for their settlement in 1854, and in the fall of that year moved their families there. Lumber for the erection of a store, post-office and union church was brought by ox-wagon from Waco.