These are databases that have been subscribed to by the Library of Congress and can be used on-site only. However, you may have access to some of these more locally via a local public library system or university library.
Securities and Investment: Sources of Information
Table of Contents
Image (left): The floor of the New York Stock Exchange, secretly shot with a camera hidden in the photographer's sleeve. c1907 Nov.
Collection: Miscellaneous Items in High Demand
Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
Provides fixed-income research using a single authoritative online platform. Designed specifically for those demanding facts and figures on debt securities. Offers on-demand access to a wide-range of bond data including both issuer and issue level terms and conditions, and end-of-day-evaluated prices for U.S. taxable bonds, municipal bonds, and retail notes.
Content include: Corporate Taxable Bonds, Municipal Bonds, Corporate Bond Reports, Corporate Offering Documents, Yields and Averages.
Morningstar Investment Research Center
Provides a user-friendly interface to search for stocks, mutual funds or Morningstar analysis. Portfolio X-Ray allows you to choose stocks or mutual funds to see how they work together in a portfolio.
Morningstar Investment Research Center Library edition tutorials:
General demonstration of the database is freely available online.
Available to subscribers:
Publisher: Standard & Poor's, Capital IQ, McGraw Hill Financial
Provides search interfaces for companies, funds, and industries. Offers analysis and star ratings of stocks, bonds and various S&P indices (including S&P MidCap 400 and S&P SmallCap 600).
NetAdvantage from Standard & Poor’s allows you to explore premium publications:
Tutorial for NetAdvantage database
- Industry Surveys
- The Outlook (coverage from 1996)
- Credit Week (coverage from 2006)
- Register of Corporations, Executives and Directors
- Security Dealers of North America
- Daily Price Record which contains historical and current pricing data for securities traded on the New York Stock Exchange, NASDAQ, and American Stock Exchange.
- Stock reports and Mutual fund reports which allow you to look up high/low/closing price of a stock (active or inactive), or end-of-day value of a mutual fund. Enter in the name or symbol in the search box and specify a time period. Stocks pricing data is available from 1984 to present. Mutual funds data is available from 1998 to present.
Standard and Poor's offers useful descriptions of parts of NetAdvantage database.
Mergent Archives (add this new entry)
Provides previous 3 years of multi-page Ford Equity Research Reports (aka: Mergent Equity Investment Research Reports) released weekly for over 5500 U.S. and Canadian companies. Clear and factual in its design the Ford Equity Research Report provides ratings, recommendations, sector analysis and company financial information.
Offers digital copies of Moody's Government and Municipal Manuals since 1909. Municipal Manual tab provides issuers of municipal securities from all 50 states, Puerto Rico and Guam.
Provides 85 years of annual reports and international industry reports since 1923. Duplicates some content from other Mergent products reviewed in this guide.
Includes financial information for public and private companies within the U.S. and international companies from over 80 countries. Provides equity reports, global industry reports, SEC filings in many formats, executive biographies, historical annual reports, historic stock prices (graphs and tables), and industry reports searchable by Standard Industrial Classification codes (SIC codes) or the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS codes).
This interface also includes the Ford Equity Research Reports (aka: Mergent Equity Investment Research Reports) - Mergent Online offers the current issues of multi-page equity research reports released weekly for over 5500 U.S. companies. The reports provide ratings, recommendations, sector analysis, and company financial information. For the previous 3 years of this title please see the Mergent Archives database.
Recommend using "My Mergent Tools" available on this database.
Offers a comprehensive library of documents that includes company annual reports, prospectuses, industry reports and other company related documents in PDF image formats. Access more than 400,000 documents covering over 60,000 global companies from over 100 countries. Tab for Corporate Manual Search offers a drop down menu of Moody’s Manuals also available in the Mergent Archives database.
Includes company financial information on domestic and international companies. Industries are searchable by SIC and NAICS codes. Company records include type of ownership, primary and secondary SIC codes, number of employees, amount of sales, names of principal executives and executive biographies. Also included is directory and financial information for millions of the leading US, Canadian, and international public and private businesses. D&B®'s private company database is included in this database.
Covers over 700,000 privately-held companies, over 18,000 investor profiles which are downloadable in PDF, and over 100,000 private transactions (venture capital funding, mergers and acquisitions, and private equity deals). This database is especially good for new technology and social media companies.
A "must-have" database for investment research. Provides investment data and analysis, asset management, and a family of mutual funds for individual and professional investors. Offers straight-forward, unbiased research. If you are new to this online resource you may wish to view the following tutorials which are freely available on the Internet.
How to Use the Value Line
Getting Started with Value Line
Need to look up a term while you use this database? Use Glossary of terms search
Back to Top
Additional publications on this topic in the Library of Congress may be identified
by searching the Online Catalog under appropriate Library of Congress subject headings. Choose the topics you wish to search from the following list of Library of Congress subject headings to link directly to the Catalog and automatically execute a search for the subject selected. Also, please be aware that during periods of heavy use you may encounter delays in accessing the catalog. For assistance in locating other subject headings which relate to this subject, please consult a reference librarian.
- Bonds--United States
- Bonds--United States--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Bonds--United States--Periodicals.
- Bonds--United States--Directories.
- Commodity exchanges.
- Commodity exchanges--United States.
- Commodity exchanges--United States--Periodicals.
- Commodity exchanges--United States--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Commodity exchanges--United States--Statistics--Periodicals.
- Commodity futures.
- Futures--United States
- Investments--United States
- Investments--United States--Directories.
- Investments--United States--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Investments--United States--Periodicals.
- Investment analysis.
- Investment analysis--United States.
- Investment analysis--United States--Periodicals.
- Money market.
- Money market--United States
- Money market--United States--Directories.
- Money market--United States--Periodicals.
- Mutual funds.
- Mutual funds--Directories.
- Mutual funds--United States.
- Mutual funds--Statistics--Periodicals.
- Mutual funds--United States--Directories.
- Mutual funds--United States--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Mutual funds--United States--Periodicals.
- Mutual funds--United States--Statistics--Periodicals.
- Portfolio management.
- Portfolio management--United States.
- Stocks--United States.
- Stocks--United States--Charts, diagrams, etc.
- Stocks--United States--Directories.
- Stocks--United States--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Stocks--United States--Periodicals.
Last Updated: 05/13/2015