Skip Navigation Links The Library of Congress >> Researchers
European Reading Room: European Division, Area Studies
  Home >> About the Division >> Annual Reports

The Annual Reports of the European Division
and Reading Room (1919-1960)

Annual Reports of the Division:

1919
1920
1921
1922
1923
1924
1925
1926
1927
1928
1929
1930
1931
1933
1934
1935
1936
1937
1938
1939
1940
1941
1942
1943
1951
1952
1953
1954
1955
1956
1957
1958
1959
1960

Each year divisions of the Library of Congress submit annual reports describing their activities for the year. The first Slavic Division annual report was submitted in 1919 by Dr. Peter A. Speek, and the process continues today for the unit now called the European Division. The annual reports do not cover calendar years, but rather fiscal years, the parameters of which have changed over the years. At times the fiscal year ran from July through June. Today it is from October through September.

The text of these reports was taken from the copies retained in the Library of Congress Archives in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The text is reproduced as presented in the reports (including some old-fashioned spellings and capitalization), albeit with some typos and punctuation corrected for easier reading.

Image of Librarian of Congress Luther Evans with John Dorosh
  Librarian of Congress Luther Evans with John Dorosh,
   Head of the Slavic Reading Room, 1946

None of the authors of the reports were native speakers of English, so some uses of definite and indefinite articles are odd, but they are presented as written in the reports. All notes by the editor of the electronic versions appear in brackets. The originals are available for researchers in the LC Archives held in the Manuscript Reading Room.

Presented here are annual reports from 1919-1960, lacking only 1932, which is missing from the Archive, and 1944-1950, when the Slavic Division was disbanded and no reports were created.

Although excerpts from the Slavic Division annual reports appear in the published annual reports of the Librarian of Congress, many details are omitted. The full text of the unpublished division annual reports are presented here to satisfy the curiosity of those who are interested in library history and who might wonder how the outstanding East European collections in our national library were built.

The following shows the name of the division and the supervisors throughout its history:

Division names

  • Slavic Section (1907-1920)
  • Semitic, Slavic and Oriental Division (1921-1928)
  • Division of Slavic Literature (1929-1939)
  • Slavic Division (1940-1944)
  • Slavic Division (1951-1953)
  • Slavic and East European Division (1953-1956)
  • Slavic and Central European Division (1956-1978)
  • European Division (1978 - present)

Division chiefs and dates of service

  • Peter A. Speek (1917-1927)
  • Alexis Babine (1927-1930)
  • Nicholas R. Rodionoff (1930-1944)
  • Sergius Yakobson (1951-1971)
  • Paul Horecky (1972-1977)
  • David H. Kraus (Acting) (1978-1982)
  • Clara Lovett (1982-1984)
  • David H. Kraus (Acting) (1984-1989)
  • David H. Kraus (1990-1992)
  • Michael Haltzel (1992-1994)
  • Ellen Hahn (Acting) (1994-1995)
  • Carolyn T. Brown (Acting) (1995-1996)
  • John Van Oudenaren (1996-2006)
  • Georgette Dorn (Acting) (2006 - present)
Image of John Dorosh with portrait of Gennadii Yudin, 1946
John Dorosh with portrait of Gennadii Yudin, 1946
Image of Luther Evans with portrait of Gennadii Yudin, 1946
Luther Evans with portrait of Gennadii Yudin, 1946


Annual Reports of the Reading Room:

1945
1947
1948
1949
1950
1951
1952
1953
1954
1955
1956
1957
1958

In addition to the Slavic Division, the Slavic Room existed as a separate entity from the Slavic Division from 1944-1958 when it was transferred to the administrative domain of the Slavic and Central European Division. The purpose of the Slavic Room was to provide help and reference services to users of the Library. The Slavic Room eventually became the European Reading Room. It too had annual reports and a series of supervisors as shown below.

Names of the Reading Room
  • Slavic Room [part of the Reference Division] (1944-1958)
  • Slavic Room [part of the Slavic and Central European Division] (1958-1978)
  • European Reading Room (1978-present)
View of Slavic Reading Room, date unknown
Two views of the Slavic Reading Room, unknown dates
Curators of the Slavic Room /
Heads of the European Reading Room*
  • John T. Dorosh (1944-1960)
  • Alfred C. String, Jr. (1960-1964)
  • George E. Perry (1964-1974)
  • David H. Kraus (1974-1977)
  • Albert E. Graham (1984-1995)
  • Grant G. Harris (2008 - present)

*Position vacant 1978-1983, 1996-2007

View of Slavic Reading Room, date unknown
  Top of Page Top of Page
  Home >> About the Division >> Annual Reports
  The Library of Congress >> Researchers
  July 19, 2013
Legal | External Link Disclaimer

Contact Us:  
Ask a Librarian