Board of Review Holdings, Opinions and Reviews
In 1944 Major General Myron C. Cramer, The Judge Advocate General of the Army, made the following statement in the Foreword to this set of Board of Review Holdings, Opinions and Reviews:
"The Board of Review was first established in 1918 by The Judge Advocate General (Office Memo. JAG 321.4, 6 Aug. 1918), and received statutory recognition and authority in 1920 (Article of War 50 and 1/2; act of 4 June 1920, 41 Stat. 797). The present collection contains the holdings, opinions and reviews rendered since July 1929, and is primarily for the use and convenience of the Boards of Review in Washington and abroad.
The first indorsement of The Judge Advocate General is included only where there is a difference of opinion or some material addition to the Board of Review's discussion. "Short holdings" which find the record of trial legally sufficient to support the findings of guilty and the sentence, without any discussion of the facts or arguments, are not included. Continuation volumes and periodical indexes will follow from time to time as the materials accumulate."
This set concluded with Volume 81 in 1949. It was followed by an entirely new set twelve volume set entitled The Judge Advocate General's Corps Board of Review and Judicial Council Holdings, Opinions and Reviews which contained decisions of the Judicial Council established by the 1948 Amendment to the Articles of War commonly known as the Elston Act. In 1951 Congress enacted the Uniform Code of Military Justice which established one system of military justice for the armed forces and provided for a Court of Military Appeals consisting of three civilian judges.