The Lieber Collection
Alphabetical Index of the Lieber Collection: I - M
- I.N.J. [In Nomine Jesu] Disputatio inauguralis iuridica de Desertoribus et Transfugis von ausgerissene Soldaten und Uberlauffern, quam rectore magnificentissimo serenissimo principe ac domino Dn. Guilielmo Henrico duce Saxoniae, Iuliae, Cliviae, Montium, Angariae et Guestphaliae et reliqua ex decreto illustris ictorum ordinis praeside illustri Christiano Vvildvogelio icto famigeratissimo sereniss. ducis Saxo-Isenacensis consiliario status intimo curiae provincialis communis, et scabinatus assessore dignissimo, nec non collegii iuriddici seniore gravissimo, iur. Publ. Et feud. Itemque cod. Et novell. Antecessore ordin. Celeberrimo patrono suo omnicultu atque observantia devenerando pro summis in utroque honoribus et privilegiis doctoralibus rite et legitime consequendis, publicae erucitorum disquisitioni submittit Petrus Duvernoy, Montisbelgardensis, ad diem Novembr horis ante et pomerid anno MDCCXIV [In the Name of Jesus. Inaugural juridical dissertation on Deserters and Turncoats, submitted by Petrus Duvernoy of Montbeliard, in the morning and afternoon on this day in November, 1714, as a public examination of his knowledge, to the most magnificent Rector, most serene leader and lord, Lord Guilielmo Henrico, Duke of Saxony, Iulia, Kleve, Montium, Enger, and Westphalia and the rest, to obtain the highest honors and doctoral privileges due in law, by the decree of the illustrious judges, under the illustrious supervision of the most renowned Judge, Christian Wildvogel, serving in the Public Provincial Court as the closest counselor to the most serene Duke of Saxony-Eisenach, and as the most worthy Court Assessor, not to mention the most important senior member of the Judicial Board, the most distinguished professor of public and feudal law for both old and young, and the protector of all those under him who are law abiding and pious]. Jenae (Jena): Typis Mullerianis, 1714.
- An Inquiry into the Formation of Washington's Farewell Address. Philadelphia: Parry & McMillan, 1859.
- Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field. Originally issued as General Orders No. 100, Adjutant General's Office, 1863. Francis Lieber, Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1898. (PDF)
- Introduction to the Study of International Law, Designed as an aid in teaching, and in historical studies. Theodore D. Woolsey, Boston and Cambridge: James Munroe and Company, 1860. (PDF)
- Judge Harper’s Speech, before the Charleston State Rights and Free Trade Association, at their regular meeting, April 1, 1832, explaining and enforcing the Remedy of Nullification. Political Tract No.10, May 1832. Charleston: State Rights and Free Trade Association, 1832.
- De jure Aerarii Militaris Romani ac Hodierni. Dissertatio quam illustris iureconsultorum ordinis auctoritate H.L.Q.C. [hora locoque consueto] die XXII Maii A.C. CMDCCLXXXVIII pro summis in utroque iure honoribus capessendis proponet M. Godofredus Ludovicus Winckler Lipsiensis [The Law of the Roman Aerarium Militare (Fund for Disabled Veterans) Even to This Day. Dissertation offered by Gottfried Ludwig Winckler of Leipzig, at the customary time and place, on May 22, 1788, for the highest honors in law, under the due authority of the most illustrious jurists]. Lipsiae (Leipzig): Litteris Saalbachiis, 1788.
- The Just Supremacy of Congress over the Territories: Intended as an answer to the Hon. Stephen A Douglas, on popular sovereignty. By George Ticknor Curtis. Boston: A. Williams and Company, 1859.
- Kaspar Hauser: Beispiel eines Verbrechens am Seelenleben des Menschen [Kaspar Hauser: Case of a Crime Against the Soul of Man]. Paul Johann Anselm Ritter von Feuerbach, Ansbach: J.M. Dollfuss, 1832.
- Das Krieges-oder Soldatenrecht, so, wie solches in ältern und neuern Zeiten, vornehmlich bei der Königl. Preussl. Armee, und in den Gerichten sämtlicher Preussl. Staaten gesetzlich, üblich und gewöhnlich ist. Berlin: Schonefchen Buchhandlung, 1789. (PDF)
- Latest Foreign News. Spain. Bombardment of Alicante by the Insurgent Iron-Clads--They Haul Off in a Damaged Condition. Unidentified newspaper [Times of London?], dateline: Madrid, September 27 .
- The Law of Nations; or Principles of the Law of Nature, Applied to the Conduct and Affairs of Nations and Sovereigns. From the French of Monsieur de Vattel. Sixth American edition, from a new edition, by Joseph Chitty. Philadelphia: T. & J.W. Johnson, 1844. (PDF)
- The Law Relating to Officers in the Army. Harris Prendergast. London: Parker, Furnivall, and Parker, 1855.
- Legal and Political Hermeneutics, or Principles of Interpretation and Construction in Law and Politics, With Remarks on Precedents and Authorities. Francis Lieber. Boston: Charles C. Little and James Brown, 1839.
- Legislative History of the Subsistence Department of the United States Army from June 16, 1775, to August 15, 1876. Compiled Under the Direction of the Commissary-General of Subsistence, by John W. Barriger, Major and Commissary of Subsistence, and BVT. General, U.S. Army. John W. Barriger. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1877.
- Lehrbuch der Weltgeschichte mit Rucksicht auf Cultur, Literatur und Religionswesen, und Einem Abriss der Deutschen Literaturgeschichte als Anhang fur Hohere Schulanstalten und zur Selbstbelehrung. Von Dr. Georg Weber. Sechste durchaus verbesserte und in der alten und mittleren Geschichte bedeutend erweiterte Auflage [Textbook of World History with Regard to the Cultural, Literary, and Religious Essence, and an Outline of German Literary History to Supplement Institutions of Higher Education and Self Instruction. By Dr. Georg Weber. Sixth Edition, completely revised and enlarged, covering ancient and medieval history]. Volume 1. Leipzig: Verlag von Wilhelm Engelmann, 1854.
- Lehrbuch der Weltgeschichte mit Rucksicht auf Cultur, Literatur und Religionswesen, und Einem Abriss der Deutschen Literaturgeschichte als Anhang fur Hohere Schulanstalten und zur Selbstbelehrung. Von Dr. Georg Weber. Sechste verbesserte und bis auf die Gegenwart fortgefuhrte Auflage [Textbook of World History with Regard to the Cultural, Literary, and Religious Essence, and an Outline of German Literary History to Supplement Institutions of Higher Education and Self Instruction. By Dr. Georg Weber. Sixth Edition, revised and continued up to the present]. Volume 2. Leipzig: Verlag von Wilhelm Engelmann, 1854.
- Letter from Edward McPherson, date unclear [November 20, 1877?], Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, to Francis Lieber. McPherson writes that he is gathering material for a second volume.
- Letter of transmittal from Gustave Rolin-Jaequemyns, Secretary General of the Institut de Droit Internationale in Ghent, to G. Norman Lieber, dated July 23, 1874, on the proposals of Russia to the Brussels Conference of 1874, "Projet d'une Convention Internationale Concernant les Lois et Coutumes de la Guerre. Principes Generaux [Project of an International Convention Concerning the Laws and Customs of War]".
- Letter to His Excellency Patrick Noble, Governor of South Carolina, on the Penitentiary System. Francis Lieber, 1839.
- Letters and Journals of Lord Byron: With Notices of His Life, by Thomas Moore. In two volumes. Vol. I. Harper's Stereotype Edition. New York: J & J Harper, 1830.
- The Life, Character, and Writings of Francis Lieber. A discourse delivered before the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, January 13, 1873, by Hon. M. Russell Thayer, Associate Judge of the District Court for the city and county of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Collins, Printer, 1873.
- The Life, Character, and Writings of Francis Lieber. A Discourse Delivered Before the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, January 13, 1873. M. Russell Thayer. Philadelphia: Collins Printer, 1873.
- Manual of Parliamentary Practice. Rules of Proceeding and Debate in Deliberative Assemblies. Luther S. Cushing, second edition, Boston: William J. Reynolds, 1845.
- Maxims of Washington; Political, Social, Moral, and Religious. Collected and arranged by John Frederick Schroeder. Third Edition, New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1859.
- A Military Dictionary, or, Explanation of the Several Systems of Discipline of Different Kinds of Troops, Infantry, Artillery, and Cavalry; the Principles of Fortification, and all the Modern Improvements in the Science of Tactics: Comprising the Pocket Gunner, or Little Bombardier; the Military Regulations of the United States; the Weights, Weasures, and Monies of all Nations; the Technical Terms and Phrases of the Art of War in the French Language. Particularly Adapted to the Use of the Military Institutions of the United States. William Duane. Philadelphia: William Duane.
- Das Moderne Volkerrecht der Civilisirten Staten als Rechtsbuch Dargestellt [Modern International Law of Civilized States as Codified Law]. J.C. Bluntschli, Nordlingen: Druck und Verlag der C.H. Beck'schen Buchhandlung, 1868.
- Das Moderne Volkerrecht der Civilisirten Staten als Rechtsbuch Dargestellt. Zweite mit Rucksicht auf die Ereignisse von 1868 bis 1872 erganzte Auflage [Modern International Law of Civilized States as Codified Law. Second supplementary edition covering the events of 1868 to 1872]. J.C. Bluntschli, Nordlingen: Druck und Verlag der C.H. Beck'schen Buchhandlung, 1872.
- Mr. [Stephen A.] Douglas and Dr. [William M.] Gwin. Why Was Senator Douglas Excluded from the Committee on Territories. Letter from Mr. Douglas to California. To the Editors [replying to a speech by Gwin, printed in this newspaper on July 16, 1859, in which Gwin attacked Douglas for opposing a proposed state constitution that would have imposed slavery in Kansas]. The National, San Francisco, 1859.
- Mr. Ambrose's Letters on the Rebellion, by John P. Kennedy. New York: Hurd and Houghton; Baltimore: James S. Waters, 1865.
- Mr. Calhoun's Letter on the Projected Change of Presidential Election in S. Carolina. November 1846.