The Lieber Collection is the personal library of Brigadier General Guido Norman Lieber, Acting Judge Advocate General of the United States Army from 1884 to 1895 and Judge Advocate General from 1895 to 1901. BG Lieber was the youngest of three sons of Dr. Francis (Franz) Lieber (1798–1872), influential scholar and professor of international law, who is best known for his codification of the laws of war for a national army, commonly known as the “Lieber Code.” The Lieber Code was adopted by President Abraham Lincoln and issued on April 24, 1863 as General Orders No. 100.
The Lieber Collection includes the materials inherited from Dr. Lieber’s library, as well as BG Lieber’s acquisitions and publications. Three publications in geology written by Oscar Lieber, the oldest son of Dr. Lieber, are part of this personal library. Oscar, who fought as a Confederate soldier and was mortally wounded, had been embarked on a career as a geologist, while the middle son, Hamilton, who fought in the Union Army along with their brother Norman, had aspired to be a farmer. After losing an arm in the war, Hamilton worked for the army for a time before retiring on account of his wartime disabilities.
BG Lieber’s daughter, Mrs. C. F. Stearns (Amelia Lieber), gave the collection as a gift to the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps in 1947. Known since then as the Lieber Collection, it was sent in 1965 to the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Legal Center & School Library in Charlottesville, VA . Over the next months, this Web site will continue to describe most of the materials comprising the Lieber Collection and selected materials will be made available in full text, beginning with the best-known works of BG Lieber and Dr. Lieber.