980. Tilforladelig[e] Kort over Eylandet S[ain]t Croix udi America...[U.S. Virgin Islands]. Beck, I[Jens] M[ichelsen]. 1754. Printed map with extensive colored pen-and-ink annotations, 48 x 73 1/2 cm. Scale ca. 1;60,000. 74-696186.
This is a 1754 printed map of St. Croix with extensive manuscript annotations. St. Croix was developed by the Danish as a sugar plantation island. Until 1754, the island was owned and administered by the Danish West India and Guinea Company, a private, royally chartered joint-stock company in which the Danish crown and many well-known individuals involved in royal administration had considerable personal interest. Map identifies land holdings by individuals with annotations added by 1767. What is striking about the map is the complete subdivision of the island into individual land holdings. Related to this is the presence of numerous wind and sugar mills saturating the landscape, indicating the intensive sugarcane production on the island. Not reflected in this map is the obvious manpower needed to support that production. It has been noted that by 1770 the Danish West Indies had a population of 25,000 of which 18,000 were slaves. Map includes coastline, coastal features, anchorages, streams, and other bodies of water, settlements, administrative boundaries, and 63 windmills by location. Map also includes two inset town plans, "...Christianstaed..." and "...Friderichsstaed" and two ornate cartouches. The cartouche in the lower right depicts local flora and fauna featuring sugar cane, a royal palm, a parrot, a monkey, a half-clad African slave, and a snake. Map is dedicated to Adam Moltke, the president of the Danish West India and Guinea Company and a high official of the Danish court. Map is closely related to a manuscript map, "Charte over Eilandet St. Croix udi America" (Nautical Charts Department Archive, Copenhagen).
G5012 .S2G46 1767 .B4 Vault
St. Croix, United States Virgin Islands/United States Virgin Islands
981. Plano Del Puerto De Maldonado....[Uruguay]. Quevedo Ycheza, Josef. 1798. Pencil, pen-and-ink ms., 46 x 92 cm. Scale ca. 1:11,200. (Maggs purchase map collection; 111). 90-682924.
This is a map of the coast of Uruguay in the vicinity of Maldonado. It shows the coastline, coastal features including Punta del Este, soundings, characteristics of water bottom, detailed representation of relief by hachures, and a few fortifications and buildings; also includes a keyed legend. This map is part of the G&M Division's collection from the Real Escuela de Navegación, Cadiz, Spain purchased from Maggs Brothers, London.
G5374 .M2 1796 .P6 Vault