Skip Navigation Links  The Library of Congress >> Researchers
Geography and Map Reading Room (Geography & Map Division)
  Home >> Sanborn Maps>> Sanborn Samplers

Sampler: Waikiki, 1914


Baltimore and Ohio Railroad| Bethlehem Steel| Chicago Union Stockyards| Cripple Creek| John Deere| Ebbets Field| Ford Motor Company| Ryman Auditorium | Tuskegee Institute| Waikiki


Insurance Map of Honolulu Hawaii Honolulu Honolulu
Waikiki, 1914

The world-renowned beach of Waikiki, adjacent to Diamond Head in Honolulu, is depicted on this map as it looked sixteen years after the annexation of Hawaii by the United States and shortly after the beach's first tourist hotels were constructed.

The sheet illustrates how fire insurance maps frequently broke up geographically contiguous places to better make use of the space on a sheet of paper. The lower left portion of the sheet is an inset that continues the coverage ending at the bottom of the main portion of the map. Note that the "Hustace Villa Boarding House" is repeated in the inset so that users can understand the relationship of the inset to the main map.

Outrigger Canoe Club - 1914
Outrigger Canoe Club - 1914

The cultural landscape of this area can be inferred from the presence of a public school, a church, and a social club, the last an early location of the Outrigger Canoe Club, the first athletic and social club of its type in Honolulu. The area's economic elements can be inferred from its diverse range of structures, including dwellings, hotels, cottages, and servant quarters. Notable physical features include details of the Apuhekao Stream and lagoon, which no longer exists. Insurance agents would have been particularly interested to discover that virtually all the buildings are constructed of wood, as indicated by the yellow coloring. Only the electric and ice plants and garage of the Moana Hotel were iron-clad. The only use of brick was for an oven in the Moana Hotel itself and as a surrounding or base material for the boiler and chimney of the hotel's electric and ice plants. The main water line running down Kalaukaua Avenue is shown as eight inches in diameter, with a four-inch pipe branching off along Kalia Road.

This plan indirectly illustrates the challenges inherent in tracing the history of particular buildings, businesses, or institutions over time. The Outrigger Canoe Club, for instance, is now located further east, closer to Diamond Head. The Seaside Hotel was replaced by the most distinctive of the early resort hotels, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, which was situated in downtown Honolulu at the time this map was made.

Gary L. Fitzpatrick


Baltimore and Ohio Railroad| Bethlehem Steel| Chicago Union Stockyards| Cripple Creek| John Deere| Ebbets Field| Ford Motor Company| Ryman Auditorium | Tuskegee Institute| Waikiki


Top of Page Top of Page
  Home >> Sanborn Maps>> Sanborn Samplers
  The Library of Congress >> Researchers
  August 9, 2010
Legal | External Link Disclaimer

Contact Us:  
Ask a Librarian