||Emory, VA 24327-0948
||Rachel Garrett, Archivist
|Hours of Service:
||8:00 a.m.--4:30 p.m., and by appointment
|Open to the public:
The Special Collections are open for use by serious researchers.
Return to top of page.
- Reference Policy:
- Telephone and mail reference questions are accepted. There are
no restrictions, but a fee may be charged if extensive research
or photocopying is necessary.
- Borrowing Privileges:
- Materials in the Archives and Special Collections circulate
only on a restrictive, case by case, basis.
- Holston Academic Libraries Consortium, OCLC via SOLINET, SOLINET,
and SWING. Holdings are listed in OCLC. OCLC searches are not
done for researchers.
- Background Note:
- Founded in 1836 under the auspices of the Holston Conference
of the Methodist Church. The first students were enrolled in 1838.
- Books and monographs:
- The collection holds approximately 11,000 volumes. These are
primarily from the 19th and 20th centuries with a few items from
the 18th century. Subject highlights include printed histories
of the Methodist Episcopal Church; Methodist Episcopal Church,
South; Methodist Episcopal Church, North; Evangelical United Brethren;
and the United Methodist Church. There are also items relating
to general Methodist history, religious studies, and religion
The computer catalog contains all items for which there is
Library of Congress cataloging.
- Periodicals and newspapers:
- The Library holds 45 current subscriptions and approximately
80 titles, many with long runs. These cover the 19th and 20th
centuries. Highlights of this collection include the Holston Conference
Annual Records (1874-1939) and conference journals from the following:
Methodist Episcopal Church; Methodist Episcopal Church, South;
Methodist Episcopal Church, North; Evangelical United Brethren;
and the United Methodist Church. Journals relating to Methodism,
the Methodist Church, and religious studies are also included
in the collection.
Holdings are available on the online catalog.
- Archives, manuscripts, correspondence, and oral histories:
- Approximately 120 linear feet with inclusive dates covering
the 18th to the 20th centuries. Highlights include letters and
writings of persons prominent in the regional Methodist Church
and historical manuscripts from area colleges; District records;
Holston Conference Meeting Minutes; and regional church histories.
A card index to names and church histories is available.
- Vertical files:
- 200 vertical files with inclusive dates from 1790 to the present.
Highlights include newspaper clippings, biographical sketches,
programs, bulletins, correspondence, and memorabilia.
- Paintings, photographs, slides, and prints:
- Approximately 200 photographs from 1890 to the present. Most
are of churches, events, and people, both Holston Conference and
Evangelical United Brethren; Methodist Church; Methodist Episcopal
Church--Holston Conference; Methodist Episcopal Church, North; Methodist
Episcopal Church, South
To contact the institution described in this entry, please use the contact information
at the top of this page.
To submit updates and corrections
for this entry, please use our comments
To ask a reference question, please
use our Ask
a Librarian form.