Shenandoah University: Alson H. Smith Jr. Library
||1460 University Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
|| (540) 665-5424|
||Christopher Bean, Director
|Hours of Service:
||8:00 a.m.--8:00 p.m.|
||10:00 a.m.--6:00 p.m.|
|Open to the public:
Hours may vary during semester breaks and in the summer. There are no restrictions who may use the library or photocopying machines. No special collection materials may go out on interlibrary loan.
Return to top of page.
- Reference Policy:
- Telephone questions are accepted from the academic community only. Mail reference questions are the public.
- Borrowing Privileges:
- Borrowing privileges are for local residents in counties contiguous with Frederick County, VA. There is a $5.00 annual fee for a library card.
- OCLC, SOLINET, VLIN, Northern Shenandoah Valley Library Network, Virginia Private College Libraries Group. Partial holdings (17,000) are listed in OCLC.
- Background Note:
- Founded in 1875.
- Books and monographs:
- There are 224 titles in the Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) collection within the 508 title special collections. Inclusive dates are 1834-1985. The subject areas covered are Methodist Church History, Evangelical United Brethren Church history, and the history of the Shenandoah University. There are also approximately 250 mostly uncataloged 18th to 20th century Mennonite, Methodist, and Brethren hymnals.
The computer catalog (Bibliofile) covers the entire book collection of items 1710-present.
- Periodicals and newspapers:
- 33 titles in the EUB collection with inclusive dates from 1889-1985. The collection includes EUB and Methodist serials. Of special interest besides the EUB and Methodist history serials are Virginia Conference Proceedings.
There is a printed list of all periodicals as well as a print and online Shenandoah Valley Union List of Serials (OCLC). Periodicals also appear in the OPAC.
- Archives, manuscripts, correspondence, and oral histories:
- 22 cassettes of 20th century oral histories. These are primarily interviews with leaders and clergy of the Evangelical United Brethren.
There is a part-time volunteer curator of this collection, Professor Emeritus Bruce Souders, who may be reached at (540) 665-5425.
- Ten reels of microfilm containing the following: United Brethren Conference Minutes 1800-1986; history of the United Brethren in Christ; history of Shenandoah University; and the Braddock St. United Methodist Church (Winchester, VA) minutes.
Some of these titles are in the OPAC.
- Videos and Sound Recordings:
- One Evangelical United Brethren filmstrip with LP made between 1946-1967 on Evangelical United Brethren. The title, Of Many Threads, is in the computer catalog.
- Vertical files:
- Three and one half vertical file drawers, primarily of Evangelical United Brethren materials, as well as 17 archival boxes of EUB/VA Conference minutes. These materials are 19th and 20th century.
There is a two page finding directory. Some of the material is also in a separate card catalog.
- Paintings, photographs, slides, and prints:
- 36 Evangelical United Brethren photographs from the 19th and 20th centuries.
There is a separate card catalog for this collection.
- Databases, CD-ROMS, and other machine-readable sources:
- There are no specialized databases for religion, although the Expanded Academic Index on CD includes some religion-related topics.
Evangelical United Brethren; Hymns and hymnals; Methodist Church; United Brethren in Christ
Archibald, F.A., ed. Methodism and Literature. Cincinnati: Walden and Stowe, 1883.
Hinks, Donald R. Brethren Hymns and Hymnals, 1720-1884. Gettysburg, PA: Brethren Heritage Press, 1986.
Rogal, Samuel, comp. Guide to the Hymns and Tunes of American Methodism. New York: Greenwood Press, 1986.
Shuey, William A. Manual of the United Brethren Publishing House. Dayton, OH: United Brethren Publishing House, 1893.