Virginia Baptist Historical Society Library
||P.O. Box 34
University of Richmond, VA 23173
||Fred Anderson, Executive Director
|Hours of Service:
1:00 p.m.--4:30 p.m.
|Open to the public:
||By appointment only
Return to top of page.
- Reference Policy:
- Reference is available on site; researchers may inquire via mail or telephone concerning research services and fees.
- Borrowing Privileges:
- Not a lending institution.
- Background Note:
- The Library was founded in 1876.
- Books and monographs:
- There are approximately 25,000 volumes, spanning the 18th through the 20th centuries, with extensive holdings of congregational records of Virginia Baptist churches and printed matter related to Baptists in Virginia.
There is no public catalog for these materials.
- Periodicals and newspapers:
- The Library has a complete run of The Religious Herald, the Virginia Baptist periodical (1828-present), as well extensive holdings of Baptist news, editorials, opinion, obituaries, and marriage records.
There is a card index to The Religious Herald from 1828-1874, and and index to the Virginia Baptist Record.
- Archives, manuscripts, correspondence, and oral histories:
- There are 7,000 manuscripts, spanning the 18th through the 20th centuries. This large collection includes the Virginia Baptist Church Document Depository.
There is no public catalog for manuscripts; staff assistance is necessary to locate materials.
- The Library contains 250 microfilms of church records.
Baptist Church--History; Baptist Church--Virginia--History
To contact the institution described in this entry, please use the contact information
at the top of this page.
To submit updates and corrections
for this entry, please use our comments
To ask a reference question, please
use our Ask
a Librarian form.