During the summer of 1893, President Grover Cleveland took a four day yachting trip with a close friend. The four day absence of a president was unusual, and the press quickly began investigating, turning up rumors of a cancerous growth and secret operation. Read more about it!
The information and sample article links below provide access to a sampling of articles from historic newspapers that can be found in the Chronicling America: American Historic Newspapers digital collection (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/). Use the Suggested Search Terms and Dates to explore this topic further in Chronicling America.
Jump to: Sample Articles
- July 1893: President Cleveland boards the yacht Oneida, amongst rumors of cancer, with surgical team sworn to secrecy.
- August 1893: Reports of an at-sea surgery on the President persist, with newspapers both confirming and denying allegations about the nature of his illness.
Suggested Search Strategies:
- [Try the following terms in combination, proximity, or as
phrases using Search
Pages in Chronicling America.] Cleveland, Oneida, Bryant, sick, cancer.
- Use the date range search function to limit the search to July and August 1893 to find articles relating to President Cleveland’s yacht trip and concerns regarding his health.
Sample Articles from Chronicling America:
- "Mr. Cleveland Goes Yachting,"
The Sun (New York, NY),
July 1, 1893, Page 1, Image 1, col. 4.
- "Grover Laid Up.,"
St. Paul Daily Globe (Saint Paul, MN),
July 7, 1893, Page 8, Image 8, col. 5.
- "Cleveland Sick.,"
Fort Worth Gazette (Fort Worth, TX),
July 7, 1893, Page 1, Image 1, col. 7.
- "Just a Lame Knee.,"
The Morning Call (San Francisco, CA),
July 8, 1893, Page 1, Image 1, col. 6.
- "President Cleveland.,"
The Salt Lake Herald (Salt Lake City, UT),
July 8, 1893, Page 1, Image 1, col. 4.
- "Cleveland Not Ill.,"
The Evening World (New York, NY),
August 30, 1893, Page 8, Image 8, col. 1
- "Now It's Cancer,"
Daily Public Ledger (Maysville, KY),
August 30, 1893, Page 3, Image 3, col. 1.
- "Cleveland Badly Off.,"
Capital Journal (Salem, OR),
August 30, 1893, Page 1, Image 1, col. 4.
- "Is it Cancer?,"
Arizona Republican (Phoenix, AZ),
August 31, 1893, Page 1, Image 1, col. 2.
- "Stories About Cleveland.,"
Indian Chieftan (Vinita, Indian Territory, OK),
August 31, 1893, Page 1, Image 1, col. 5.