Gardiner Greene Hubbard Collection
Collection digitized? Generally, no. Selected
images are included here to give a sample of the collection.
The Library's first major collection of fine prints was donated
in 1898 by Mrs. Gardiner Greene Hubbard shortly after the completion
of the new Library Building. The collection had been assembled
by her late husband, Gardiner Greene Hubbard (1822-1897), first
president of the National Geographic Society and an important
figure in the development of the telephone industry, and included
works by Dürer, Rembrandt, Callot and other major printmakers,
historical prints pertaining to Napolean Bonaparte and Frederick
the Great and numerous portraits. Through her bequest, Mrs.
Hubbard provided the Library with a special fund for the purchase
of additional prints. A catalog published in 1905 describes
the 2,700 items donated by Mrs. Hubbard and includes indexes
for engravers, artists, and portrait subjects. In a card file
in the Prints and
Photographs Division are listed 300 items relating to Napolean.
The collection has been integrated with the division's fine
print holdings. Selected items for which copy photography has
been requested can be searched in the Prints & Photographs
Note: Information for this entry was compiled
in the late 1970's for inclusion in: Special Collections
in the Library of Congress: A Selective Guide. Compiled
by Annette Melville. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress,
1980. The information has not been revised, except to add information
about the online catalog.
"The Galleries, the Gardiner-Greene-Hubbard Collection," The
Scrip, v. 3, May 1908: 261-268.
U.S. Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Catalog
of the Gardiner Greene Hubbard Collection of Engravings,
Presented to the Library of Congress by Mrs. Gardiner Greene
Hubbard, compiled by Arthur Jeffrey Parsons.